Monday, May 16, 2011

The Joys of Travel

Actually written on May 15th at approximately 830pm somewhere in the air between DC and Denver...

I find myself in the air pretty often. Yea, it's my job. As most of you know, I am a flight attendant now. It's pretty crazy how much my life has changed over the course of the past few months. In December I was driving to work in a bank every single day and I was miserable. At this moment, I'm on a plane headed to Denver, Colorado, then I'm gonna head down to Tucson, Arizona to visit my best friend Colton, his parents, and his girlfriend Alison.

I've not updated my blog in quite a while. Perhaps I should bring it back to life. I need to find something to do with my spare time. I used to sit on planes for hours and look out the window in amazement of where I was at (35,000 feet above the ground.) Now that I am on the go so often, I am pretty used to the sights out of the window, so blogging with my interesting airline stories may be the best way to pass my time.

I'll start with a brief synopsis of the past few months. I could write a book, but I'll spare you. I now work for Shuttle America, a regional airline that operates Delta Shuttle, Delta Connection, and United Express flights. I'm based out of New York City's LaGuardia Airport I love it. It's a ton of fun and I get to go places which is what I wanted. The people I work with are amazing. I've met some great friends through the job, although I do miss my friends from college and from Richmond. I have a very good schedule and sometimes I find it hard to believe that I actually have the job that I do.

I have a new appreciation for flight attendants. Before I start my story of the day, let me tell you about the past few hours of my life…

I ended a "trip" in LaGuardia last night and I along with the wonderful First Officer I had been flying with for the past few days headed over to JFK to head down to Washington, DC. I spent last night with my good friend Hunter with plans of leaving today to go to Tucson, Arizona for a few days. Even though I fly everywhere for free, I fly space available…so, if there are no seats on the plane I do not fly. I decided not to leave Washington, DC today until around 3PM because my flight to Tucson didn't leave Atlanta until 7:25 and I didn't want to sit there for four hours. I looked on my iPhone (my new favorite accessory) and saw that the 3PM flight to Atlanta was overbooked, so when Hunter dropped me off at the airport I ran to the AirTran gate to catch a flight to Atlanta. Long story short: AirTran had no seats, Delta's 3pm had no seats, Delta's 4pm had no seats, Frontier was delayed by 2 hours, and I really thought I was out of options. I ended up hoofing it over the United counter and getting a United flight to Denver. Once in Denver, I will connect to Tucson on Frontier Airlines. Yes, I know it's confusing, but it's what I have to go through to get where I'm going. In the end you may be sweaty, tired, frustrated, angry, hungry and look like you just ran a marathon through the Saharan Desert, but at least you make it.

I have to say that I'm very satisfied with life at this point. I like driving down the road with my windows down, sunroof open, blasting my music. The other day I was doing just that and I was thinking about how I honestly don't have any worries right now. I wouldn't complain if my life stayed like it is for a while. I love my family, I love my friends, I love my job, and I am very content. I hope I stay this way for a while.

For now, I'll just keep on flying and see what comes my way.

Until next time, Zach will leave it at that.

1 comment:

Hazm said...

Always glad to read your posts Zach!