Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Beginning

Hey everyone! I have finally arrived in Santa Cruz, California. My flights were good. I've been awake for a long time though. I got up at 4:45am Eastern time, which is 1:45am Pacific time. This time is going to take some getting used to. Its 10:40 at the house but it's still daylight where I am at, which is awesome.

I took a few pics on the ride from Dallas to San Jose. I love flying. Dallas/Fort Worth was a huge airport. I had to ride a train from one terminal to the other. It was neat though. I landed in San Jose and it was about 45 minutes across the mountain to Santa Cruz. The San Jose side of the mountain was smoky from the wildfires but once you crossed into Santa Cruz it cleared up. The closest wildfire is about 30 minutes away so no-one needs to worry about that.

The campus is amazing. It is on the side of a mountain surrounded by a redwood forest. It's pretty neat. I've still not seen the Pacific Ocean yet. I'm excited about that. All the people that I am going to be working with are great. A lot of people are from the east coast and this is the first time the majority of them have worked here too.

My room is small but it is nice. They didn't give me a fitted sheet in my linen packet which is kind of aggravating, but at least the sheets are clean. The dorms look like houses in the southwest with the curvy roofs, if you know what I am talking about. I will put up a pic of them later on. I've not had a chance to take my pics, but I will put a couple up. There will be a lot more to come.


Clouds between Dallas and San Jose.



The Sierra Nevada Mountain range.




The view from my dorm window.




Until next time, Zach will leave it at that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey friend. It's been a while. Glad your flights were okay and you got there safe. Seems like you are going to enjoy your time there. I hope everything goes smoothly. Talk to you later!

Jen said...

I'm so jealous! You are going to have so much fun.

Nanrocks said...

Good Morning, Hope you have a wonderful day...The scene from your dorm looks beautiful....love