Saturday, February 21, 2009

Monuments, Statues, Museums...oh my!

Today was a good day. I got to sleep in...9:15. That is much later than I usually sleep. I have my clock set for 8am every morning, even though I don't have class until 11. I just like to get up early and get the day started off right...take a shower, check my email and the weather, do the Sodoku in the Bristol paper...I have a routine.

Anyways, I woke up at 9:15. Dad, Poppaw, and I decided we were going to go into the district today since it was supposed to be warmer. We left here around 11. We went downtown and Poppaw dropped us off at the World War II memorial. I hadn't been in downtown DC since the memorial had been built. It is really nice. Me and Dad walked around there until Poppaw found a parking space. We met up with him then walked to the Vietnam War memorial. My dad had a couple he wanted to find on the wall. After we found the names, we walked up to the Lincoln Memorial. It was nice. We then walked to the Korean War memorial (I know...I visited every war memorial in one day). We did a lot of walking.

After we left the Korean War memorial, we walked to Pennsylvania Avenue and saw the White House. We then got in the van to go to Union Station to get lunch. My grandpa drives a huge Dodge conversion van that is really tall. He went to pull in the parking garage and the bar that warns about vehicle height hit the top of the vehicle. He being 75 and hard of hearing didn't hear the bar hit the top of the van. Me and my dad had to tell him to stop and go out of the parking garage. So, we had to turn around and find a spot on the street. It was confusing...well, my grandpa got confused. We ate lunch then left Union Station.

I had been watching planes all day. I can't remember if I've told you before, but I'm obsessed with airplanes. It's an interest of mine that I have aquired since taking my first plane ride freshman year. If the plane is low enough, I can tell you rather quickly what airline the plane is from and what kind of plane it is (Beoing, Airbus, MD, etc.) All day I had been watching planes flying over DC getting ready to land at Reagan National Airport. They were low and I was rattling off the airlines and plane types, testing my own knowledge to impress only myself. There is a park at the end of a runway called Gravelly Point. It is one of the best plane-watching locations in the country...if you're on the ground and not in a plane. I had been looking forward to going to Gravelly Point at the end of the day to watch a bunch of planes land and take off. My grandpa doesn't go into the city very often and they have changed the roads a lot. He got confused again and couldn't find Gravelly Point. I was disappointed but, oh well. I still had a good day in the city. I may drive to Gravelly Point tomorrow before I leave and watch some planes if the weather is good.

I don't have my cord to put pictures on my computer. As soon as I do, I will put them on here. I hope everyone has a good rest of the weekend!

Until next time, Zach will leave it at that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I love reading your blogs and keeping up with what goes on in your EVENTFUL life! Hope to see ya soon! Love ya, Aunt Kris