Thursday, July 3, 2008

Things I've Learned About Kids

Wow. Working with kids is totally different than what I expected.

1) They are very observant. They caught on that I bite my lip to keep from laughing. So now when they tell inappropriate jokes that I shouldn't laugh at, they see me biting my lip and know I'm about to laugh.
2) I don't know what this world is coming to...but they know too much about stuff that I didn't know about when I was their age.
3) They're sneaky. They try to hide things (iPods, cell phones) and they think you don't notice, but you do.
4) Sometimes, for no reason, they choose not to shower. And it stinks...literally.
5) They like to play Jenga...or at least the kids on my hall do.

We have had some major Jenga action going on the past few days. Since we are allowed to order stuff for our hall and our programs, I ordered a new Jenga set for my hall and it came in today. I was excited along with all of the kids. Oh...here is the quote for the day from one of the kids. "Jenga is like a girl...you gotta prod in all the right places in order to win." Yes. That is what I have to put up with every day.

Last night was fun. A few nights a week we are allowed to go out after all of our kids have gone to bed. One of the other RAs knew of this big field where we could go look over Santa Cruz and the ocean. So, about 11:30, we went walking. It took about 20 minutes to walk there but once we got there it was amazing. Because of the way the Monterey Bay is set up, when you are behind Santa Cruz, you can see several miles south to Monterey. Since it was dark and the skies were clear, you could see the fires at Big Sur. Even though we were probably 40+ miles away, you could even sporadically see the flames. It was one of the coolest sights I have ever seen. It would turn the sky red and everything.

It was warm here today. I love the dry air though. No humidity at all is great. My wiffleball activity has become fun. All of the girls who are supposed to be playing badminton sit to the side and cheer for the boys playing wiffleball. I'm sure they'll be all kinds of couples for the dance on Friday. Yesterday I played basketball for a while then today we just did wiffleball because we had a fire drill.

Well, I'm gone for now. I'm leading a photography activity tomorrow so I'm sure I'll have plenty of pictures to put up tomorrow evening or Saturday. Until next time, Zach will leave it at that.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Several things:

1. You do bite your lip to keep from laughing.
2. How old are these kids?
3. Any lady RAs that you have your eye on?

That is all for now. More at a later date.

Jen said...

Zestilicous! I'm so glad you are having a great time. I'm holding down the fort in DC once again. Sounds like you have your hands full with the kids. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Hey! Finally got the address right!! Missed you this weekend at the lake! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I miss you Son ! So Glad you are having a good time.. I Love Ya.
Mom