Thursday, May 28, 2009

Spanish Mishaps

Of course, if you´re just learning Spanish, you are going to have words confused and things sometimes aren´t going to come out right. Since I really don´t have anything to talk about on my blog today, I will update you on a few of the mishaps I have had over the past few days. Me and my spanish ¨profesora¨ spent a good time laughing over most of these.

1. She wanted me to write down the past tense of verbs. She said ¨pasado¨ which is the spanish word for past. I quickly asked her, ¨fish?¨ The spanish word for fish is pescado...I had gotten them confused.

2. Today, she was asking me what I ate for dinner with my Ecuadorian family. I was explaining in spanish that my family really doesn´t eat dinner...and I was telling her some of the things I fix for myself. I said, ¨Yo como sanduches de jabón.¨ Translated: I like to eat soap sandwiches. I meant to say jamon, the word for ham.

3. Today, I was trying to tell her that my host sisters in Ecuador do not speak english, that they only speak spanish. I said, ¨Mi hijas ecuadoriana no hablo inglés.¨ Translated: My ecuadorian daughters do not speak english.¨ I quickly turned myself around and explained to her that I was talking of my ecuadorian hermanas, or sisters and I am positive I have no ecuadorian daughters.

4. One of our daily exercizes is that we go through verbs, and I ask my teacher questions in spanish. Yesterday, I asked her, ¨Que gusta hace in la noche?¨ Translated: What do you like to do in the night? I was expecting to get the answer from her, ¨I like to sleep.¨ I think she took my question pervertedly and she thought I was hitting on her and asking her out. It was confusing.

5. I´m not going to try any spanish for this one, but I asked my teacher yesterday why she liked to work in the mountains. I meant to ask her why she liked to travel in the mountains.

I hope everything is good in the United States. I return in 11 days. Although I am enjoying Ecuador, I´m ready to get back.

Until next time, Zach will leave it at that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fluent in Spanish! haha That's my pal!


Dana

Anonymous said...

Those are hilarious! I am on my lunch break right now up at Emory so I am catching up on your blog and this post made me laugh out loud! Keep up the good work! :)

-Vice Vice Baby (Rachel)