Friday, May 29, 2009

You Have Got to Be Kidding Me

So...yesterday.

I went to Spanish class then I came here to the internet café to take care of some business as usual. If you´re wandering, that business consisted of checking facebook, email...and that´s about it.

I decided I was going to visit the Old Town...or the historic part of Quito...just as I am going to do today. I got on the Ecovia (one of the main bus lines) and normally it is packed. Yesterday, it wasn´t. A seat opened up beside a couple of people and I noticed they were speaking english...so I proceded to ask them if they were from the United States. They said they were from North Carolina. I told them my school was about an hour across the mountain from Boone and it was about 20 minutes from the North Carolina border. Here is the rest of the conversation between Channa (the girl) and I:

Channa: Do you know where Bristol is?
Zach: Yeah...my school is only about 20 minutes from Bristol.
Channa: Do you know where Abingdon is?
Zach: Yeah! I go to Emory & Henry!
Channa: Oh my gosh! I graduated from Abingdon High School!

That might not have been the exact wording...but it was similar. I am in the middle of Quito, Ecuador, got on a random bus, and met a girl who graduated from Abingdon High School! It was nuts.

Everything is good. I have the weekend ahead and I´m not sure what I´m going to do yet.

Yesterday, after I hung out with Channa and her friend Estyn for a little while, I visited the San Francisco Monestary and Museum. It was very interesting. I paid $2 and had an english speaking guide walk me around the museum. It was cool.

See everyone in 10 days!

Until next time, Zach will leave it at that.

No comments: